[SciPy-Dev] GSoC17 - Question about candidacy
Євгеній Гизила
2017-02-28 11:38:00 UTC
Dear developers

I'm Yevhenii Hyzyla and I'm an undergraduate student from Taras Shevchenko
National University of Kyiv in Ukraine. I don't have any experience of open
source contributing, but I want to start this way from SciPy. I have good
knowledge of Python (some small pet project) and C on sufficient level
(university course). Also, I have an experience of working with SciPy
library and SciPy stack in general.

After seeing the wiki page with ideas and I think I could develop
scipy.diff, because I have good knowledge about differential and how to
calculate them using numerical or symbolic methods. (I had courses at
university from Mathematical analysis and Numerical analysis). And my
hobbies are Math and Python.

1) If I make some patches to scipy, what chance of being accepted will be?
2) How many students applies to scipy each year?
Could I get feedback about my candidacy from developers?

Thank for reading!

Yevhenii
Evgeni Burovski
2017-03-01 13:59:13 UTC
Post by Євгеній Гизила
[...]
Hi Yevhenii,

Glad to see your interest in this project!

It's a bit hard to say anything about chances at this point. It'll
depend on several things: the number and quality of applications, the
availability of mentors, and so on.

Our selection process relies a lot on the project proposals. From
experience, writing a good proposal takes several iterations. I thus
encourage you to write the first iteration and send it to this list.

Cheers,

Evgeni